Thursday, January 11, 2007

Being broke is the most selfish thing you can do

I talked to a lady this morning who has lost the ability to dream. She'd responded to a marketing campaign I'm running which is basically announcing my intention to work with 6 people to mentor them to a multiple six-figure income in the next 12 months.

Obviously I'm having to be selective about who I work with. But, as I was talking to this particular lady, it became obvious that she wasn't going to make the cut. When I asked her to describe her ideal income if she had no limitations at all....she said she wanted to earn $30,000 a year.

I confess. I laughed. She said, "What are you laughing at?" I said, "I'm laughing because I've just asked you what number you'd put on a blank check and you're telling me you want to make less than the average American."

But, it wasn't funny. Not really. It was sad. Here's a grown woman who's become so used to living in a box that the most she can envision for herself is $2,500 per month.

That's barely enough to live indoors.

So, here's the most controversial statement you'll probably hear this week: Being broke is the most selfish thing you can do.

It's true.

Because, when someone chooses to only earn $30,000 when -- with some simple decision making, following a proven system, focusing on their goals and taking action -- they could be earning that much in a MONTH....

....well, they're missing the mark. They're wasting potential. They're choosing to live smaller than they can. And that's a violation of natural law. Everything in the universe has a built-in goal to reach its fullest potential. It's only the human being who chooses to stop growing before they reach their peak.

So, why is it selfish to be broke? Simple: because when you're broke you only think of yourself. You can only feed yourself. You can only clothe yourself. You are so focused on trying to take care of yourself that you have no time, money, energy or ability to assist anyone else.

And that's selfish.

So, if you want a Milion Dollar Mindset, here's one step in the right direction: understand that poverty is a DISEASE. It's a dirty, degrading, humiliating and disgusting condition that everyone should avoid at all costs. If you're not disgusted at the idea that you can't have the life that you want...then you'll never achieve your full potential.

So, there you go: It's selfish to be broke. Go make some money and be of service to everyone around you.

Tony Rush

4 comments:

Kassandra Bragg said...

Tony, that's the best thing I've read this week! Me and my husband were discussing that this week. Everyone has this "get by" mentality and think that by being that way they are ok, and that people who seek more are selfish. It's the exact opposite! Thanks for posting this. I really enjoy your blog. :)

Tony said...

Kassandra, you're 100% right. Most people are operating on "survival principles". Wealthy people operate on "success principles".

Thanks for the kind words!
Tony

JC said...

this is a great post Tony, I feel bad for her mindset tho. It goes back to the saying. If your mind can conceive it, you can achieve it. If she just put her mind to make 30k a month, with your help and mentorship, I am sure she would make and then learn to surpass that income!

Unknown said...

Wow!
I really liked this post. I had an interesting experience this week at church that I guess I'll have to post about on my blog (too long to take up your space here).

I'm not wealthy yet... just temporarily in a "broke" spot. I expect things to change, and I won't settle for "average" any more!